February 22, 2016 -- "What a Skvely Week."

This week was a week of complete miracles! We found the coolest people I have ever met! Wow, I am just so happy to be here! I love everything about the Czech Republic: the people, the food, the buildings, the transportation, the trees. Missions are the very best. As we are getting down to Sister Holland's last few weeks, she has shared the great and even the hard times of her mission, and how much she spiritually has grow in understanding of the gospel and of the world. You just really can not put a number or anything on the experiances you receive while you are serving. 

Before I get into the spiritual stuff of this week, I wanted to talk a little bit about maybe the most interesting experience yet on my mission. We met this man on the streets on Saturday. He was pretty cool. We offered him a Book of Mormon. He said lets go to a cafe, and we can talk about it. And it is like totally normal to do that. So he brought us into this cafe we had never been to before. And immediately the aroma of smoke and alcohol and the sound of laughter came upon us. Not too long after we realized we were in a bar. And everyone in the bar knew who the sister missionaries were. It was pretty funny, I have to admit. All the drunks sad sould saying "Vitejte sestry" (which is welcome sisters). But we prayed and taught the restoration and had our fruit tea. I think that is the last bar I need to be in. Tak yo.

We had a meeting with Veronika, and we got her on date! We taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ ,and at first she was a little hesitant and didn't feel ready. But we said it is a great goal, and we know she can make it. She is continuing to read in the Book of Mormon and is in 2 Nephi! Wow, like she is such a great investigator!

We are teaching this man name Slovamir. He is from Slovakia and a really strong Catholic. He has faith in Jesus Christ and God. When we had our first restoration lesson and taught him that we have living prophets in our day, he said (translated), "Why don't I know about this? If this is real why doesn't the whole world know about this?" We are like--"We know!!" That's why we are here! He really is curious and wants to know more. The thing I think he could benefit from most is the Atonement. He told us about some choices he made in the past that he wishes he would have never done. He is so great. I am excited to continue teaching him. 

Also, you will never believe who we talked to: a girl from TAIWAN at our bus stop. Which was the coolest because that is my birthplace.  I was able to speak the little Chinese I remember with her. Her English is pretty good. Somehow my Czech is quite a bit better than hers. She has a husband from Czech and seems a little "anti" us. But we will get her a Chinese Book of Morman and things so she can understand better. I just can't explain my joy talking with her. She is so cute!

Another person we met is Nikoli (and if anyone has seen the Saratov aproc he looks the exact same and has the same name so we will have to be careful with him) from Bulgaria. And since I learned a few word in Bulgarian in the MTC from my companions, I was able to say "Hi" and "Bye" but that is like all I remembered. He is way open to the Gospel which is totally opposite from the Czechs here! We even got him on a baptismal date. He beileves that Jospeh Smith has seen God and everything like that! So he is set. He also came to our film festival and loved the restoration film. 

The last person I wanted to talked about was an old lady we met during tracting way back when I got here in December. The first time we went, she welcomed us in and fed us so much food I had to stick stuff in my pockets because I could not eat it all. She wasn't too interested in the Gospel. The next time we came with our district caroling for Christmas. We just wanted to sing to try and pay her back and leave, but yet again she fee us all the cukrovi and bread you can imagine. Yesterday, we just wanted to go back because this is Sestra Holland's last week in the country and maybe give her a Book of Morman as a gift. When we got there our friend had yellow and blue under her eyes and one side of alll her teeth were knocked out. She was trying to run and catch a bus and fell. She didn't even know how long she was knocked out. But yet her kindness went on as she would say times, " My home is your home." "If you ever need food you are welcome here." "Do you have enough money?" "If you ever need a place to stay, I have two rooms." This lady, although she doesn't know it, has I would say almost mastered the pure love of Christ. Though she could be thinking about how much pain she was in, how she was lonley, how she didn't have enough money, she managed to look outward to love others around her, and be a pure and true disciple of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  I pray that we can all follow her example and LOOK OUTWARD. I know that the Savior loves you all and if we can learn to follow his example, we experience everlasting joy and happiness.

--
Go skiing and read your scriptures 
Sestra Baxter

No comments:

Post a Comment